Language Focus 2 (don’t) have to
• Learn have to.
• Learn don’t have to and how it differs from mustn’t.
• Talk about what you have to do.
(don’t) have to
- We use have to to say what is necessary to do.
You have to answer all the questions in the exam.
Toby has to look after his sister this afternoon.
- We use don’t have to to say what isn’t necessary to do, but is an option or a choice.
I don’t have to help you with the homework.
Elsie doesn’t have to get up early tomorrow.
- Question words go at the beginning of the question.
How much homework do you have to do?
When do we have to make a decision?