Language Focus 1: should/must
• learn should and must.
• talk about problems and give advice using should and must.
Should VS. Must
- We use should to say what we think is a good idea or important to do.
You should organize a party for your birthday.
They should ask the teacher.
- Should is the same in all forms.
- We use an infinitive without to after should.
John should to get more sleep.
- We use must to say what we think is necessary to do.
You must listen to this song. It’s fantastic!
- We use mustn’t to say what we think is necessary not to do.
We mustn’t forget to buy her a present.
- Must is the same in all forms.
- We use the infinitive without to after must.
You must remember that story. (
You must to remember that story.)